NFTC 2013 Tour Ends in Eugene
The Nike Football Training Camp tour finished off the year—after 13 stops ranging from New Jersey to Los Angeles—with the final event being held Sunday in Eugene, Ore.
Over 200 players worked out and many scouts felt the defensive line was the top position group.
Here are some of the players of note according to the coaches who worked the event:
* Washington State commit Marcus Griffin from Bellevue, Wash. (pictured above) won defensive line MVP honors and was a force last season on the field where he recorded 13 sacks.
According to Greg Biggins, National Analyst for Scout.com, Griffin is “big, quick, athletic, (has a) nice motor and is very strong.”
* Also impressive was Sumner Houston from perennial national power Concord (Calif.) De La Salle. A CalHiSports.com 3rd team Junior All-State pick, he was a “close second for DL MVP honors,” according to Todd Huber, who oversees the linemen for the NFTCs. “He’s a beast and will be a Pac12 defensive lineman.”
“He’s country strong, has great technique and is tough,” added Biggins.
* Also on the defensive side, among those who stood out was defensive back Kavika Fonua from Syracuse, Utah.
The 6-foot, 200 pound senior-to-be, who took SPARQ Ratings honors with a 119.25 mark at Saturday’s Nike Football SPARQ Combine, did well in the one-on-one drills. He was a Utah Class 5A All-State pick as a junior when he recorded 92 tackles, four INTs and also totaled 523 yards on offense.
* On the other side of the line, Tanner Davies from Eugene (Ore.) Sheldon was OL MVP and “dominated at guard,” according to Huber.
* Another OL who drew positive reviews was Tristen Hoge from Pocatello (Idaho) Highland who, according to Biggins, “will be a national recruit… (his) upside is off the charts.” Hoge worked out at center at the camp.
* Quarterback Jett Even from Tigard, Ore. also stood out. He’s 6-foot-4, 185 pounds and threw for 18 touchdowns with only three picks in a three-back run-oriented offense.
* One of the top targets for QBs at the NFTC was receiver Jordan Morgan from Beaverton (Ore.) Southridge. He was a Class 6A 2nd team All-State pick in 2012 and is committed to Arizona.
* Eugene NFTC Most Valuable Players
Here is the complete list of MVPs who impressed their group coaches:
QB: Jett Even (Tigard, Ore.)
RB: Tyler Reid (Eugene (Ore.) Churchill)
WR: Jordan Morgan (Beaverton (Ore.) Southridge)
OL: Tanner Davies (Eugene (Ore.) Sheldon)
DL: Marcus Griffin (Bellevue, Wash.)
LB : Alek Kacmarcik (Woodinville, Wash.)
DB: Kavika Fonua (Syracuse, Utah)